Monday 1 July 2024

Barn Hill To Broome To Dampier Pennisula

Barn Hill, the camp site was pretty nice and they had a café so Ellen scoffed an iced coffee and scoffed a vanilla milkshake with icecream which was a godsend from the moto gods.

For a change we could swim here as crocs lined the rest of the coastline, given the temps were very nice even I got in several times thoroughly enjoying it.


We did have a wee visitor on the beach...not welcoming

The pinnacle rock formations were very cool.

Two nights here before making it into Broome, the tourist trap, we had booked a site and the Broome Bird Observatory for two nights, tanking up, fooding up and grogging up in Broome we headed out, the road pretty corrugated and making skippy work for her money.

On arrival we realized we had stepped on a gem, the place was excellent and secure and so quiet.



We managed to squeeze an extra night so we didn’t have to go back to town before Ellens flight out, being very accommodating the camp hosts were excellent, something of a common theme here.


Time to drop Ellen to the airport as she had to take care of some family business then I was home alone with a Ural Sidecar, some gin, fud and wine so I could cry myself to sleep.

We yet again, we had met others along the way including Brittany from Perth, Francois and Christine from Brisbane, Mark and then met Steve an ex Kiwi with all the others that had past us…then me along the way.

A very social group of travellers so I was in good hands, never a dull moment and plenty of fishing (no catching tho) and social chats, coffees and drinkies, even tho I met a whole lot of new faces they ALL knew me as “the Kiwi on the sidecar”.

I started near the top of the Dampier Peninsula with the view of working my way back but camp jumping every second night (ish), I spent the time pretty quick and before I knew it I was running short, I literally had no internet/4G for most of it until I got to Lambodina where I managed to squeeze out 3 ride reports as loading pics was still very slow.

All the people that had come from the south of the Dampier had bitterly complained of bad mozzies, sandflies and midges so I am not sure if I missed something based on that.

Fishing, drinking, sunsets, coffees, mates …and cold can of Coke I have managed to exist my way through Ellens absence.

Time to say goodbye to said friends on this leg and head back to the Bird Sanctuary, my mission here is to volunteer for a couple of days around the sanctuary and Скиппиs valves are due a check.

No comments: