Thursday, 12 March 2015

Road J to Punta Arenas

We woke to a bitterly cold breeze and some clouds but mum nature soon removed the blanket and the sun was shining through making our ride north up and over the pass excellent and for a hour of so we enjoyed almost no wind.

On getting to Rio Grande we meet 8 - 9 Brasil Riders and they too were heading to Punta Arenas.

We headed outa town prior to them but it was only a few km up the road they all came past us at true Brasilian pace.

Pulling up behind them at San Sebastian (the border) we did paperwork and managed to sneak out ahead of them somehow, once hitting the dirt Maya excelled and did what she does best and ti add to todays mix heavy rain, a road that was flowing like a river and some wind.

Perfect conditions not to ride we knew we only had 137 km of torture but mum nature was doing her darnedest to make life hard for us.

It seems as soon as we said bring it on and give us your worst the weather cleared leaving us just a muddy section of road to navigate, the layer of puffed clay with mud and gravel making about 50 mm plus layer of semi sludgy semi dryish cake mix....which was interesting.

The rain cloud behind us where we had come from, we rode out from the storm and to the left so it was nowhere as wet here

IMG_6702 by twomotokiwis, on Flickr

Where we were going ...nice !!

IMG_6699 by twomotokiwis, on Flickr

The sea in contrast with the sky and clouds making a nice mix that was pleasant to the eye

IMG_6705 by twomotokiwis, on Flickr

I was stoked to have the MT 21 on and I know it was making life easier for us however well still slid and wobbled a lot on the greasy paste.

One of the 1200 GS's and a Tenere 660 were owned by the mud both biffing there bikes, not too bad damage just a reminder of biting real estate.

Arriving at Porvenir we had an hour and a half up our sleeves and were very grateful to see the ferry there and with and open door as the previous days had no sailed due to wind.

Maya looking like a dirty girl and the wharf

IMG_6706 by twomotokiwis, on Flickr

The Ferry took 2 hours and we arrived in Punta Arenas about 9.30 pm safe and sound.

Next is Punta Arenas, town and about, don't just race through you will miss it.

No comments: